Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Whizbangalang.

Sometimes, life is slow. I like being slow. It's good for my mind. The opportunity to have a good look at my life, and truly relish in every one of my riches, is a necessity to avoid floating off into space. However, eventually, I get bored. It is fun to float amongst the stars once in a while.

Keep in mind that being slow in this house does not mean that we aren't busy! It means that PP (that always includes Mama) is not crammed to the gills with doctors appointments or hospital stays, we aren't expected to be here and there and everywhere for all sorts of reasons; instead we pick play dates and outings at our leisure. A lull in this house means PP going to school every day and attending therapy some days, Papa working long hours leaving me and PP to our own devices for what seems to be days at a time. I will admit that it takes a lot of energy to keep my family members and our sanity in their appropriate places from day to day! We work hard through the truly busy weeks and I know that we all need the slow times, but we also need a reward. I love that part of it. 

As you might guess, the reward for PP was handed out first! For roughly the past nine months, PP has attended therapy sessions at Children's Hospital from two to three times a week. Although we have seen changes in the way PP behaves and communicates, she stagnates with developing new skills for long periods of time. After much discussion, the therapists and myself decided it would be a good decision to put hospital therapies on hiatus until April. This gives PP a chance to settle into a more consistent weekly regimen between home and school and to hopefully be ready to move forward developmentally when hospital therapy restarts. 

This is a good thing because it gives her a chance to have a set routine for 5 days straight. As far as I can tell, PP has not grasped the concept of tomorrow or next week or the difference between a weekday and a weekend. This makes it hard for me to explain to her why she doesn't go to school on Saturday or Sunday, which can be really upsetting. During the weekend, she doesn't understand that she will go to school on Monday, but that she would also have therapy on that day. If, on Sunday, I said she wouldn't go to therapy on Tuesday, she wouldn't know what I was talking about at all. However, after Monday rolls around to reintroduce therapy and school for the week, the typically uneventful Tuesday can wreak havoc on everyones nerves. PP can ball up a lot of energy that may explode unexpectedly! Wednesday would be another therapy day, which was usually a crabby day because of a bad nightmare, a lack of coffee, or residual crabby faces from Tuesday. That would be the last of therapy days for the week, leaving a smoother Thursday and Friday, but that leaves only two days before the confusing weekend starts again! It can be quite a nasty cycle. The 'slow' times are sometimes harder than the busy times when they just drag on. 

This is our first week without therapy and I will say only that everyone seems to be enjoying it; I don't want to jinx it! Having our mornings together as a family, not feeling rushed and not having to juggle our only car quite so much has been lovely and soothing on my nerves. 

I am looking forward to this weekend in particular because I am taking a "Me" weekend. My friend Kate and I are flying to Chicago early Friday morning! We will be visiting some of her family and seeing the sights. This trip is a big deal for me! I have not been on a vacation in about 5 years. In the past 4 1/2 years I have never had a recreational weekend away from my family, EVER! I am nervous, duh, but I am at a point in parenthood that I know I can relax and know that my family is safe even if I am not being a big bossy umbrella Mama. I am at the point where I *NEED* this weekend. I am 100% happy if Papa goes out with his friends because I know he won't do stupid things like drive drunk or get into shenanigans, but he will definitely enjoy himself and that's important. I am 100% OK with PP staying up late, eating too much pizza or not taking a bath because she is going to be surrounded on all sides by her adoring family; they love her and she loves them. 

This weekend is going to be epic. 

Next week will be epic as well: I am in charge of Valentines Day, 'nuff said. 

The last week in February marks the beginning of Chris - n - Lacey's birthday season. Our birthdays are six days apart! This year is a BIG deal because Chris is celebrating his golden birthday and I am celebrating my 25th. We will wear gold-somethings and I will rent a car, or not! Hooray for growing older! But seriously, I am very thankful to be turning 25. I will wear it proudly. 

That brings my calendar up to the first week in March, and I could go on further, but you (and I) will just have to wait and see what happens! I am sure it will be entertaining. 

Bonsoir, belle jour!
XoX 




No comments:

Post a Comment